Gated Content is an inbound marketing strategy that is used as a lead generation tool. It refers to content that requires the user to first give something in exchange such as fill out a form, subscribe or make a purchase. It is essentially content that is restricted until customers provide information or money to view it. It is also referred to as ‘locked content’.
Content that works well to collect leads when gated includes
- Video content
- Research papers
- Email courses
- Product Demos
- Free Trials
Advantages of Gated Content
- It is effective in generating qualified leads.
- It enhances the perceived value of your content.
- It helps in segmenting your customers.
- It allows you to improve customer loyalty with the information collected about customers.
Disadvantages of Gated Content
- It can potentially turn certain people away from your site when they see content that is restricted.
- It doesn’t contribute to Search engine optimization because it is not accessible to search engine bots.
- It restricts content that could potentially help to drive conversions.
- Gated content is not effective for small businesses and businesses that don’t experience much traffic.