Headless eCommerce is when the front end and the back end are separated in an eCommerce application. The front end consists of elements such as a search field, visual aspects, a cart, forms, and other elements of company branding and designs.
It is an eCommerce platform that stores, manages, and delivers content without a front-end delivery layer. What this does is allow companies to use backend developers to freely develop their store in any way they want to.
Benefits of Headless eCommerce
- Headless eCommerce offers better security as it allows for multiple systems to be used which reduces the possibility of accounts being compromised.
- It allows businesses to change and adapt the frontend system as they see fit. Which helps with conversion rate optimization.
- It allows businesses to easily integrate with other systems such as CMS or CRM.
- Using a headless eCommerce platform can offer a competitive advantage over other eCommerce businesses as it allows for changes to be made quickly, without any issues.
- It allows businesses to enhance the customer experience.
Differences between Traditional and Headless eCommerce
- With Headless eCommerce businesses need to build their front end from scratch, whereas with traditional eCommerce they can customize the ready-made templates and themes available on their chosen platform.
- Headless eCommerce is much more flexible as it offers complete freedom to customize both the front and back end.
- Traditional eCommerce does not require as much technical knowledge as compared to headless eCommerce and it is also less expensive as it doesn’t require any advanced development to be done.