To put it out simply, a lead is a person or an organization with an interest in what you are selling. They can show their interest by sharing their contact information like phone number, social media handle, or email address. For example, a person visited your profile and requested a demo, or subscribed to your newsletter for daily updates, then he/she became your lead. You can then use appropriate marketing strategies to convert them into customers.
Types of Lead Generation
- Inbound Lead Generation- This is also known as the ‘pull’ marketing where the focus is to provide prospects that themselves seek you out with relevant educational content through blogs, ebooks, or opt-in email lists.
- Outbound Lead Generation- This is also known as the ‘push’ marketing where the focus is to reach out to prospects who have not expressed interest or who are unaware of your product or service by sending out targeted emails and cold calling.
Strategies for generating leads for eCommerce
- Create a lead magnet- You can use certain freebies such as ebooks, guide, and checklist as a magnet to attract customers so that they exchange their email in return for some valuable content that is easy to understand and solve a problem for the reader.
- Exit intent- The best way to generate leads is to get the attention of the visitors planning to leave your website. Whenever an exit is detected, your website can display a pop-up that offers something of value to the visitors and tempts them to signup before leaving.
- Offer a discount- We cannot deny the fact that everyone loves discounts and coupons. For example, if you give people discount coupons for signing up on your website, they might likely do it and you can make it even more appealing with time-sensitive offers that create urgency and a fear of missing out (FOMO).
- Optimize your CTAs- CTAs play a vital role in lead generation as it is used to direct visitors to the next step. Some CTAs that get the attention of visitors includes-
- Get a free trial!
- Get a free ebook!
- Get access now!
- Optimize your site for mobile conversions-Most people today are hooked to their mobile phones. They use their phone to research everything starting from a company to their products and services. So, it’s important to optimize your site for mobile conversions for effective lead generation.
- Generate leads with SEO- If you search for something online say “wooden table”, then you’ll likely end up clicking the first few links that you see on the first page. This is where the role of search engine optimization comes into play. It helps you to rank better and appear in the first few results which in turn attracts a large volume of customers which helps in lead generation.