Simply put, personalization is the way in which you create a personal experience for the user visiting your website. This can be done by showing content acquired from the user’s purchase history, browsing behavior, demographics, etc. You can also show individualized offers and discounts and product recommendations etc. Personalization is important to give a better user experience. The better experience the consumer gets, he/she will spend more time on your website and will also purchase more.
There are multiple ways of personalization marketing in e-commerce. They are-
- Deliver weather-sensitive or seasonal personalization
- Adjust navigation to visitors’ interest
- Recommend Product Categories Based on Browsing Behavior
- Personalize Search Results
- Send Personalized Email Based on User Behavior
- Use Geo-Location Targeting
- Show Category-Specific Discount Coupons
- Sort Recent Products by Interest Level
- Suggest Complementary Products
- Pitch an Upsell at and after the Purchase
- Remind Shoppers of Previous Engagements
- Use a style finder
- Show product recommendations below the product
- Personalize the homepage by category
- Show personalized offers to returning customers
Benefits of Personalization
Many advantages of personalization are-
- Increase sales by improving conversions- Personalization helps us to target our customers and catch their attention long enough to entice a sale. We can display information that is relevant and which we want to show to our users.
- Increase in average order size- Personalization and product recommendations increase order size. For example, if a customer is purchasing a laptop, you can recommend accessories like a mouse, laptop bag, etc. which will increase the order size.
- Increases engagement with your website- With the help of personalization, we can give users a more personalized experience to which the user can relate. This will automatically drive the customer to spend more time on the website.
- Improves customer retention- when the customer feels recognized, he/she will feel that the merchant listens to his/her needs and provides relevant goods. This in turn increases the customer’s loyalty.
- Gives you a competitive advantage- By using the internet and technology, you can provide a better experience to your users which will give you an advantage over your competitors.
Multi-device eCommerce personalization
Customers use multiple devices to use one particular website. We should track down our customers across all the devices that the customer is using. This gives us an insight and tells us how often the customer visits our website, how is his/her experience, etc. Personalization makes the customer feel recognized and increases purchase rate and average order value which helps the e-commerce businesses. Therefore, we should track our customers all throughout the time they have spent on our website.
The customer and the merchant have one relationship and not many relationships on different channels. You should work on providing personalization on all channels. The various channels can be online, in email or on mobile, etc. The user experience should be the same on all platforms. The benefits of omnichannel personalization are-
- Omnichannel personalization will enable you to provide relevant content on all platforms.
- When we link the customers’ browsing behavior to individualize the in-app experience, it also sends relevant push notifications.